Monday, March 31, 2008

Thing 14 - Library Thing

LibraryThing is really a neat concept! If every time I finished reading a book, I spent a few minutes summarizing and then reviewing it, I could add it to my Library and track my reading and relate books to one another. Better yet, I could search tags for books I felt were similar which would be a great help in advising readers. I can never remember the titles when I need to recommend them!

I like the idea of setting up an account so it could be a tool for reviewing and recommending books for young people. Of course that would only work in my school environment if this is a site that is not blocked. It really helps students to see the covers of the books. LibaryThing uses Amazon conveniently for that. I will have to see that our new circulation software does that.
LibraryThing was very easy to set up and add books. I did find that I couldn't add another book without resetting the screen. I had problems getting the customized widget to come up and so I had to settle for a preset one. I was trying to make a shorter list so it wouldn't take up so much of my page.

1 comment:

PatriciaP said...

Library Thing would be such a great tool for schools, but it is often blocked. My family and friends are always asking me what to read, so I believe Library Thing will help me personally a lot.

Patricia -
CMLE