Saturday, March 1, 2008

Thing 4 - Flickr

I had heard of Clemens Library's use of Flickr to promote books in their library. What a cool way to encourage let patrons know what's new.

The concerns I would have with sharing things on the internet seem to be handled well by Flickr. The usage license lets the person choose how much of their copyright privileges they want to retain, and the terms clearly tell users to link back to Flickr when they use a photo from it. I was very glad to see that they moderate the publishing for safe searches. It is really neat that the community involved helps keep inappropriate content off the site. I'm sure there must be a community somewhere on the web where they share such pictures!

I was slightly familiar with Picasa already. A teacher I used to carpool with used it. It was very handy for her, since she didn't own a photo-editing program and could then work on photos at home and at school for the yearbook. As with most freeware, the free version does not do all the cool things the programs you pay for do, but it does enough.

The point the common craft video made about at least backing up your photos is a good one. The tags available would make finding photos so much easier! It sounds like a lot of work to begin with if you have 3-5 years of digital photos to back up, but to maintain your albums after that should be fun.

Online communities are great for sharing things and I'm sure that more photos get shared when you can send a link and make comments online. But it doesn't hold the same fuzzy feeling as seeing a knot of people clustered around a photo album laughing together about a picture there.

I had a little trouble getting a photo from Flickr to upload, but eventually realized I had to follow the links/directions on Flickr. I still have not figured out how to put the link back to Flickr on the blog post and give credit to the photographer. The line and the html are shown on the draft, but not when I publish it.

No comments: